Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week which takes place November 15th- 23rd, 2020. Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week is an annual movement to bring people together across the country to draw attention to issues surrounding hunger and homelessness.
In the state of Wisconsin in 2018, on average 8 people were homeless per 10,000 people in the general population. In Jefferson County, there are approximately 530 people who are homeless and an additional 1,400 people who are doubling up or living in substandard housing.
Here is how you can help:
- Donate money to the Hunger and Homelessness Donation Drive organized by the Jefferson County Health Department and Human Services using Paypal. These donations will be used to purchase lodging, gas, food, personal essentials, and other necessary items by case workers for people seeking services at the county.
- Contact your local food pantry to see what food donations they currently need and donate. For a listing of food pantries go here: Jefferson County Food Pantry Coalition
- Volunteer for Ruby’s Food Pantry in Jefferson, WI every 3rd Wednesdays of the month: https://rubyspantry.org/home
- Donate to the Fort Atkinson Homeless Coalition, Tel (920) 387-2063
- For people who need housing or access to food contact:
- Community Action Coalition Tel (920) 262-9667
- Call 211 for community resources
- Jefferson County Human Services for mental health and substance use services Tel (920) 674-3105