Birth, death, marriage, domestic partnership & termination of domestic partnership certificates are $20.00 for the first copy.
Each additional copy of the same record is $3.00 as long as it is ordered at the same time.
There are 3 easy ways to obtain your vital record:
- Stop in the office and take the certificate home with you, this takes approximately 10 minutes. You will need to complete an application form, show proper I.D. and provide the appropriate payment.
- Send a written request in the mail; complete the application found under "FORMS", submit proper I.D. and payment, we also ask that you provide a self addressed envelope to ensure that the certificate gets mailed exactly where you indicate.
- Order On-line using your credit card; click on "Credit Card Requests", choose Vital Records, complete the information asked of you. With this option you will be charged an additional $10.00 from VitalChek, the credit card processor. They also have an option to have your certificate shipped UPS for an additional $17.50, this is not required however the system defaults to this option, if you prefer to have it sent regular mail, for no additional charge, use the drop down box to change the delivery option.
The Jefferson County Register of Deeds Office processes ALL REQUESTS on the day they are received and they are sent through the United States Postal Service. However, if you have an emergency situation where you need to have your vital record shipped via a private courier, you can send the request along with a pre-paid envelope from the courier of your choice.
For an Application to apply for a certified copy of BIRTH, MARRIAGE, DEATH, DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP OR TERMINATION OF DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP click forms on the left side of screen.
COMPLETE THE APPLICATION AND SEND IT WITH A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO REGISTER OF DEEDS, PLEASE ENCLOSE A LEGAL SIZE, SELF ADDRESSED, STAMPED ENVELOPE AND MAIL TO:
REGISTER OF DEEDS
311 S. Center Avenue
JEFFERSON, WI 53549
Office hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 - 4:30, please call if you have any questions, 920-674-7235.
Order your vital record online using your credit card http://www.vitalchek.com/home.aspx
- As of January 1, 2017 you may obtain a copy of your birth certificate in any Register of Deeds office statewide.
- If you are looking for a birth record older than November 1, 1907 please contact the county the birth occurred as they are not available statewide.
- Adoptions - contact the State Registrar 608-266-1371
- Paternity Statements - Child Support
- Legitimization Forms - Child Support
- Legitimization can be done when the biological parents have married each other after the child's birth
- Name Changes - Clerk of Courts
- Apply for marriage license - County Clerk
- Obtain certified copies - Register of Deeds
- Marriage record is filed in the county in which the marriage took place
- Effective 1/1/2017 certain marriage certificates may be purchased at any county Register of Deeds office, please contact their office to see if your record is available.
- For example - if you applied in Dodge County but were married in Jefferson County, the record is filed in Jefferson County only
- When you have a destination wedding such as Mexico, the record is kept in that country, you are not able to bring a copy to the Register of Deeds in your county to have on record, be sure to get copies from there before you leave
- If death occurs out of state, the record stays there
- As of 1/1/2017 certain death certificates may be purchased at any county Register of Deeds office, please contact their office to see if your record is available.
- If a person dies in a different county from which they resided, the record will be in both counties
- Office staff can assist you in finding the proper records, however, they are not at your disposal for checking records for genealogy research
• Apply for the domestic partnership - County Clerk • Obtain certified copy - Register of Deeds • Domestic Partnership records are filed in the county in which the partnership was applied for
TERMINATION OF DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP
- Apply for the termination - County Clerk
- Obtain certified copy - Register of Deeds
- Termination of Domestic Partnership records are filed in the county in which the original partnership was applied for
- If you applied for the Domestic Partnership in Jefferson County then you must apply for the Termination in Jefferson County