Marriage License

Please contact 920-674-8630 to schedule a time to apply. We are happy to provide walk-in service as time allows, but services are not guaranteed without an appointment.

Marriage Application - How Do I Apply?  (Spanish)

Residents and Non-Residents who are getting married in the State of Wisconsin, may apply before the County Clerk of any Wisconsin County.  When marriages are to occur outside the State of Wisconsin, the applicant must comply with the jurisdictions requirements of that County, State, and / or Country.

If you would like to schedule a wedding ceremony to be performed by a Judge at the Jefferson County Courthouse, please contact the Family Court Commissioner's office at 920-674-7192. 

Jefferson County Clerk's Office
311 S Center Ave, Room C-2050
Jefferson, WI 53549

Application must be made  by appointment between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. (Allow 15-20 minutes for application process) There is a statutory three-day waiting period, exclusive of the day of application, required from the time of application until the license is valid. (Couples should take into account that the office is not open Saturdays, Sundays or Courthouse holidays (New Year’s Day, Spring Holiday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day).  A 3-day waiting period is required by law, but may be waived by the County Clerk if the applicant pays an additional $25 to cover the processing cost.

It is necessary for both applicants to come in and fill out the application. If unable to come at the same time, the statutory three-day waiting period will not begin until the last individual has taken the marriage oath and signed. A marriage ceremony must be scheduled before the application appointment can be made. You will need to provide documentary proof of identification and residence. Standard proof of this is a driver's license, showing photo for identification and reflecting your CURRENT ADDRESS. If a current address is not shown on the driver's license, two pieces of mail (electronic mail is acceptable) with current address must be presented.

Certified copy of birth certificate required for all applicants. The certified copy is that copy which has been obtained from the County or State level office where vital records are held and who are authorized to issue certified copies of such records. We CANNOT accept photocopies, certificates issued by hospitals, baptismal record, Birth Registration Notification forms, etc. Some birth certificates do not include the parents' FULL names. In those cases, applicants must be able to state their parents' full names (full first, full middle and mother's maiden names), correctly spelled.  You may request out of state birth, death, or divorce records here:

Previously Married Applicants: Proof showing how and when the last marriage ended must be presented. (In the case where an applicant has been married more than once, only documentation from the last, most recent marriage is required).

Divorce: There is a six-month waiting period after the divorce is granted. Thus, a person cannot be issued a marriage license if they have been divorced less than six months ago. For example, if a divorce was granted on June 1, the soonest the couple could be issued a marriage license and could be married would be Dec.1 of the same year. If the divorce occurred in Wisconsin and we are able to look up on CCAP, no additional documentation is necessary. However, if we cannot find on CCAP, or the divorce was granted in another state, Judgment of Divorce papers are needed. This is the document showing the names of the parties being granted the divorce, with the actual granting date clearly stated on it and a judge's signature (the official who granted the divorce) usually found on the last page.

Annulment: Annulment papers must be presented. This would be annulment through the Court system, not through a church.

Death: A death certificate must be presented.

Any persons who cannot speak or understand English will need to bring an interpreter. Couples cannot interpret for each other. 

Documents in another language besides English must have English translation. 

Under the Child Support Enforcement law, Social Security numbers of the couple must be recorded in the confidential section of the application and marriage license. The couple may either state these numbers to us, or bring the Social Security cards with them at time of application.

Date and location of ceremony as well as the name and contact information of the officiant (person performing the ceremony), will also need to be provided.

$110.00 paid at time of application-Cash/Credit/Debit Cards accepted. NO CHECKS!!
(Debit assessed fee of $2.50 and Credit assessed fee of $6.00)
$25.00-Waiver fee if applicable, $10- Waiver fee Active Duty Military if applicable

Blood relatives nearer of kin than second cousin, except when the bride is 55 years of age or older.
Applicants under the age of 16. Persons divorced less than six (6) months.

Applicants can marry without parents' consent at 18 years of age.
At age 16 or 17, applicant is required to submit both parents' or guardian's consent to the marriage. Parent or Guardian Consent forms (obtainable in the County Clerk's office) must be signed by both parents or guardian before the County Clerk, Deputy County Clerk or Notary Public.

Applicants under the age of 16 cannot marry under any circumstances.